Friday, April 13, 2018

Matzo-Crusted Salmon

I tend to eat a lot of fish during Passover because it's Pareve (neither meat nor dairy), and I can have dairy in another part of the meal.  Most Americans consider fish a meat, but kosher rules do not.

I found a surprising number of recipes like this online.  Surprising because I was only looking to get an oven temperature.  It isn't hard to crumb-coat a piece of fish.  The few I read had problems with them that made them unusable for Passover.  Whole Foods's recipe put mustard in the mayo coating.  One of the others was fine up to the point where they suggested pairing it with green beans.  For Passover, I'm also assuming you sprang for the KLP mayo.  Now, if you're just making this to get rid of some of the excess matzo, do whatever you want.  I'm not going to judge.

And that's not rice on the side.  It's tricolor quinoa, cooked with beet greens and some salt.  Another KLP rule that's kind of iffy but works in my favor.  By this meal, I was starting to get "Passover hungry" because everything was too healthy and didn't keep me full.

4 5oz salmon portions (a little over a pound)
*1 piece matzoh
2 Tb mayonnaise
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp dried dill
olive oil if needed
lemon or tartar sauce for serving

1.  Start preheating the oven to 400º.  Place matzo, salt, pepper, and dill in a food processor.  Run until it makes breadcrumbs.  Pour crumbs into a shallow dish.
2.  Check the fish for pin bones and discard.  Brush mayo onto the tops of the salmon portions.  Mine came with skin attached, so that automatically became the bottom.  If you have skinless portions, line the baking dish with foil and spread oil on it.
3.  Dip the mayo side of the salmon into the crumbs.  Since I only made three, I coated the sides as well.  For four, one matzoh will probably only cover the tops.

4.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness.  You want them to only just barely cook through.

5.  Serve with lemon juice, tartar sauce, or (because it's pareve) cream sauce.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.