Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Leftovers in Action

By now, everyone has fruit and vegetables in the crisper that are threatening to turn.  My main culprit was celery.  I actually had to throw away half the bag.  It took some serious trimming to come up with enough for a Waldorf salad, but the only thing I had to buy for it was the grapes.  I usually catch things like that and transfer them to the broth bag, but I had just finished another 45 hour work week.

The other thing was coming up with a use for the sauerkraut other than grilled cheese.  I went with the obvious and grilled up some bratwurst.

So after putting on a bit of weight from that little adventure, I went through the pantry for some plant-based protein.  That ended up being some black bean veggie burgers, but with butternut squash instead of the one sorry plantain at Sprouts.

The fridge is mostly empty now, and I don't have a lot of leftovers in the freezer.  This works because my garden is getting useful again.  Produce doesn't go bad as quickly when it's still in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.