Saturday, December 2, 2017

Radish Farm

Ok, I admit I'm doing a gardening post because I haven't had time to cook anything interesting.  There was going to be one on fixing a broken hollandaise, but I didn't manage to resurrect it.  I've also been looking for a gap to show off my latest gardening coup.

For the most part, my winter seeding has not been going well because the weather is not cooperating. My large tray of indoor seeding has produced two struggling celery sprouts.  Period.  The lettuce patch has a solid row of little arugula and sprouts of what I assume is Romaine.  I kind of forgot what I put where.  The herb pots haven't sprouted squat.
The Pond is doing slightly better.  I have two solid rows of carrots after two seedings, but they take months to grow.  The beet seeds must be quite old, because I only have four plants out of two rows, and they're struggling.  I'll try again.  I have a slightly newer packet of beet seeds that are a different variety.

Where I'm succeeding beyond all expectations is the radishes.  I hope I like them, because there are two solid rows of a radish every 2-3 inches.  While weeding, I found out the leaves have little spikes on the underside, like nettle leaves.  I appear to be slightly allergic to whatever natural defenses those leaves contain.  Generally, blanching makes them edible.  I have to remember not to eat them raw.

The citrus tree is doing quite well this year.  The fruit is smaller than usual, but there's a lot of it.  Normal sized lemons for a change.  There are even two grapefruit way up there.  Maybe this year they'll ripen.  I haven't had very good luck with the grapefruit.  There are even more navel oranges than I'm used to.  Really hoping I can do something with them for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.