Sunday, September 10, 2017

Summer harvest, round 2

Tiny watermelon is on the white container lid
I had to pick the last watermelon because it had split, all of the cucumbers were canned, and there were only a few tomatoes left to ripen.

Then it got hot and humid, so the plants decided to go at it again.

I knew that vine-type fruits started a second round once the first was harvested, but these guys were taking so long to get to it, I thought I'd just planted to late.  Practically overnight, I found a new watermelon growing near the base of one of the plants.  The tomatoes started to bloom again, and a long-lost cucumber seed germinated.  I might end up with a passable harvest after all.

The fennel that I let bloom is starting to develop seeds.  I watched several videos on harvesting fennel seed, and they're not ready yet.  More on that when it's time.
Every time I think Eggy has had it, she cranks out another single-serving eggplant.  There's a big grasshopper that keeps eating the leaves, so that may be the ultimate downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.