Monday, September 4, 2017

Goat Cheese Polenta with Broiled Vegetables

Ok, I hate recipes with long titles, but I couldn't come up with anything shorter without splitting this into two posts.

I had a handful of tomatoes, one small eggplant, and some cilantro to work with this time.  I was going back and forth with making something on Persian rice, couscous, or risotto.  Then I hit upon the idea of polenta, which I haven't really done on this blog unless you count the dessert one I grilled a couple of years ago.

There are a couple of ways to do polenta dishes.  As a main course, you often create a bed of mush and put a stew on top of it, or mound it like mashed potatoes with a chicken leg or something on the side and a sprig of herb in the middle for garnish.  Since we're in presentation mode, I did these as polenta cakes cut into shapes, with the veggies on top.  They could just as easily be on the side.  These are too fragile to serve as finger hors d'oeuvres, but they can be plated as appetizers.  To pick up polenta, it either has to be very stiff or very small.  Even then, I would put them in bon bon liners.

I need to broil onions more often.  They were the best part of this dish.  I was also pleased that the eggplant "fries" cooked through in the same time as the tomatoes and onion.  I was concerned they'd still be a little underdone.

For those really paying attention to the photo, yes there is lamb in it.  I made this a main dish by shredding about half a pound of lamb into the veggie mix, but it didn't really add anything extraordinary to the concept, and I like the vegetarian appetizer version.

I didn't buy fine-grain polenta and just used regular cornmeal.  The justification was the goat cheese, which will cream up pretty much anything.  It did not come out gritty, and I saved a little money.

*1 C cornmeal or dry polenta
4 oz goat cheese log or crumbles
salt
1/2 C chopped fresh herbs (I used cilantro and basil) or 3 Tb dried
*1/2 red onion, Frenched
*6 oz grape tomatoes, halved
*1 small eggplant (or 3 Indian)
olive oil

1.  Early in the day, make the polenta.  Stir together cornmeal, 1 C water, and 1/2 tsp of salt in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a low boil over medium heat, and turn down the heat if it starts to spit at you.  Gradually add 2 more cups of water, stirring occasionally, until polenta is cooked and thick, about 15 minutes.  Stir in herbs and cheese.  Line an 8" square or round pan with plastic wrap and you can just lift the finished piece out of the pan.  Pour polenta into pan and refrigerate until serving time, at least 2 hours.
Because everything tastes better with a log of chèvre in it
2.  To prepare the eggplant, cut off the cap.  Slice 1/4" thick rounds, then slice into baton strips about the same size as the onion pieces.  Toss all three veggies with a tablespoon or two of olive oil, until thoroughly coated.  Spread in a single layer in a baking dish and broil for approx 10 minutes.
3.  Remove polenta from pan and cut into desired squares, triangles, or diamonds.  Plate, then spoon broiled mix on top.  Serve before the polenta starts to melt and run.

Serves 8-12 as an appetizer

Difficulty rating. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.