Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Watercress Soup

This is why I grew the cress.  Seriously, it was so I could make soup out of it.  Three months of waiting for it to grow enough for a couple of servings of soup.  I should plant more now if I want enough to make watercress sandwiches for this summer's tea.
The recipes I found online were not what I was expecting.  I'm not sure what I thought watercress soup was supposed to be, but it didn't have potatoes in it.

Starting with Bon Appetit's recipe, I quickly realized this was an herbed version of vichyssoise.  As such, I got a red potato instead of russet.  It has to simmer twice as long, but it's worth it for the creaminess.

Speaking of creamy, the chive cream for the garnish in the BA recipe is because anything heavier will sink to the bottom.  I tried Greek yogurt and I might as well have dropped in a rock.  It tasted nice once it had melted, though.

1 Tb butter
*1/2 C diced onion
1 Pt low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 lb red potato
6 C watercress leaves (start with one bunch)
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and white pepper to taste

1.  Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and cook until soft.

2.  While the onion is cooking, peel potato and dice into 1/2" cubes.  Add with chicken broth and bring to a simmer.  Cover and cook until potato falls apart, at least 30 min.
3.  Which is about how long it will take you to remove all the watercress leaves from the stems.  It's pretty tedious.  Stir the leaves into the pot and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
4.  Working in batches, purée the mixture.  Return to the pot and taste.  Add salt and pepper as needed. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice to brighten the color and taste.  Garnish with chive whipped cream if desired.

4 appetizer servings

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.