Monday, April 22, 2013

Linguine with Sausage and Vegetables

I transferred at work.  It is a positive thing for the most part, but I get home at 7pm three days a week.  I don't want to start cooking that late, so I have to find things I can make in the morning that will store well.  I kind of do that anyway, making about four portions and eating leftovers until it's gone, but now I won't always get to eat the first portion fresh.  However, I'll get to have breakfast at home almost every day.  I got out of the habit of making fancy breakfasts, but I do love them.

I tried to cut down on the number of pots and pans for this one, but there are just a lot of pieces.  If you're making it to serve fresh, it's going to take at least three.  Making it ahead, I was able to reuse the pasta pot for the sauce and the sausage skillet for the veggies.  This also gave me time to portion everything into four containers.  I kept two in the fridge and froze the other two for later, like making my own frozen dinners.  Anything that keeps me from stopping at McDonald's on the way home.

The Yellow Apron
Frozen Entrées Factory
8 oz (about 1/2 box, depending on the brand) linguine
4 Italian sausage links (about 12 oz total)
1 Tb olive oil
1 lb tomatoes
1/2 lb mushrooms
2 ribs celery
1/2 onion
1 green bell pepper
1 C milk
2 Tb butter
3 Tb flour
1/2 C parmesan cheese
salt, pepper, and paprika to taste

1.  Boil water in a medium saucepan and cook pasta until done.  Drain.

2.  While that's going on, heat sausage according to package directions.  Chop into bite-sized pieces and set aside.

3.  Also while 1 & 2 are happening, coarsely chop vegetables and sauté in olive oil until onions are translucent, but veggies are not limp.  Set aside.

4.  Get out another small saucepan and melt butter.  Stir in flour to make a roux and slowly add milk to make a basic white sauce.  Add cheese, taste and add salt, pepper, and paprika as needed.

5.  Toss all parts together and serve.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.