Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Banana Rum-Raisin Matzoh Brei

Did I mention that I have a lot of matzoh left?  Me and my stupid rule that I can't buy bread until the matzoh is gone.  I can make it, just not buy any.  At this rate, I might be done by Rosh Hashanah.  Maybe.

You'll notice this recipe doesn't have a Passover tag.  I don't think rum is KLP.

For the uninitiated, matzoh brei is just French toast made with matzoh.  It is also annoying to type because auto-correct keeps trying to turn it into brie.

*1 matzoh
1 ripe banana
1/4 C raisins
*1 tsp light rum
*1/4 tsp nutmeg
dash salt
1 egg
2 Tb milk

1.  Boil some water.  Break up matzoh in a heat-proof bowl.  Pour about 1 C boiling water over the pieces and let sit while you make up the mix.

2.  Mash the banana in another bowl.  Stir in raisins, rum, salt, and nutmeg.  Beat in egg and milk.

3.  Drain matzoh and squeeze out excess water.  Add to egg mix and let sit for several minutes while you heat a 6" skillet over medium.  (I use a bit of butter in my pan, even though it's non-stick.)

4.  Pour mix into pan and cook until bottom is done.  Good luck flipping it in one piece, but brei is allowed to look like scrambled eggs.  Cook until eggs are completely done and serve hot, maybe with a caramel sauce.  I think this just turned into dessert. ;)

Serves 2, unless you're really hungry

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.