Sunday, February 3, 2013

Shepherd's Pie

This is what I did with the leftover potato guts from the potato skins.  It's loosely based on Alton Brown's version and is totally worth buying the lamb.

As usual, I made a few minor changes.  Based on the comments, I added some shredded cheddar to the potatoes.  I still have some of the 2 lb bag I got a while ago because it was on special for about the same price as 8 oz.  Instead of using fresh herbs, I subbed in the dried herbs in the spice cabinet.  Things like that.

If you don't feel like making your own mashed potatoes for the crust, the powdered kind from the box works fine.  I just happened to have a lot of potatoes on hand, and mashed potatoes are not difficult to make.

This does take some coordination in the time-management department.  I'm going to break it down a little better than Alton did.

For the Potatoes
*1 lb russet potatoes
1/4 C milk
2 Tb butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 egg
*1/4 C shredded cheddar

For the Lamb
2 Tb oil
1 lb ground lamb
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tb flour
1 Tb tomato paste
1 C chicken broth
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
*1/2 tsp rosemary
*1/2 tsp thyme
1-1/2 C frozen mixed vegetables

1.  Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2" dice.  Place in saucepan and add cold water to cover.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.

2.  Meanwhile, in a deep skillet, heat the oil on medium.  Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and lamb and cook until lamb is brown and crumbly, about 5 more minutes.  Add flour and toss mixture to coat.  It will look pasty.  Add remaining ingredients and stir together.  Set on simmer to thicken.

3.  Drain the potatoes.  Mash with a fork or potato masher.  Add butter, milk, salt, and pepper and mix until smooth.  Add egg and cheese and combine.

4.  Preheat oven to 400º.  Set up an 8"x8" baking pan on a rimmed cookie sheet.  As well as you seal it, it will run over the sides.  Place lamb mixture on bottom of dish.  Spoon potatoes over, starting around the edges and working your way in.  You want a solid layer of mashed potatoes on top.  Bake until potatoes are set and slightly browned, about 25 minutes.  Allow to sit 15 minutes before serving.

Difficulty rating :)

2 comments:

  1. This blog is brilliant! I recently moved into my first apartment and so I've had to learn to cook for myself (or starve). I'm definitely going to be checking out your blog often for ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope I can help, Nikki! Some of my recipes are more advanced than "cook or starve", but I hope you get some ideas.

      Delete

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.