Thursday, February 21, 2013

Breakfast Polenta

I was going to title this post "grits", but it isn't traditional Southern grits and I didn't want to be misleading.  This is what the corn meal box refers to as "mush".

Grandma Sophie used to make this for my dad when he was a boy and they were on war rations.  I recently found their ration books.  Americans would not put up with that kind of thing nowadays.  During WWII, you didn't waste any food.  Anything left in the pot, she would scrape together and fry up into pancakes to have later.

The sausage in this is my own addition.  I'm not big on the salty/sweet combo that is so popular today, but I do like sausage or bacon with syrup.

*1/3 C corn meal
1/2 C milk
water as needed
dash salt
2 sausage links
breakfast syrup (maple if you have it)

1.  In a small saucepan, stir together corn meal and milk.  Over medium-low heat, cook until it just starts to boil, stirring frequently.  Lower heat to a simmer and add half a cup of water.  Stir frequently and add a dash of salt.

2.  Cook the sausage links and chop into bite-sized pieces.  I usually use microwaveable sausage so I don't have to watch two pans at the same time.

3.  If mush gets too thick, add a little more water.  It cooks in about 7 minutes.  Pour into a cereal bowl, add sausage, and top with syrup to taste.  Serve hot.

Serves 1

Difficulty rating π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.