Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Baked Trout with Yogurt-Dill Sauce


Sometimes, I buy things at the market because they look good. Then I get them home and have to figure out what to do with them. Originally, I was going to get salmon, and this recipe would work just as well with salmon steaks or fillet cuts. But they had whole, pan-dressed rainbow trout, minus the heads. I can't eat anything that's staring back at me.

I did make the fortunate decision to cut the trout into steaks before cooking. It would have been difficult to get proper portions off of such a small fish. I learned my lesson from the duck. If you bake a fish of at least two pounds, leave it whole. This one was just under a pound.

1 whole trout (about 4 oz per person), pan-dressed
salt
dill weed
1/4 C lemon juice

1. Cut trout into 4 oz steaks and place in baking pan. If the fish is large enough, you can stand the steaks on end. Otherwise, lay on one side. Lightly salt fish inside and out, and sprinkle insides with dill. Pour lemon juice over all and set in fridge to marinate at least 15 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 300º. Bake until fish is no longer translucent, about 15 minutes for a smaller fish, closer to 20 for a big one. Serve hot, accompanied by chilled dill sauce.


Yogurt-Dill Sauce

1 6-oz container Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp dill weed or 1 Tb chopped fresh dill
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste

1. Whisk together all ingredients. Chill until ready to use.

Serves 4

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.