Saturday, April 13, 2013

Rhubarb-Orange Jam

They had fresh rhubarb at Sprouts!  I decided to make jam with it.  Because I've had a lone orange languishing in the crisper since the Duck a l'Orange, I decided on this recipe.  I thought there was at least one recipe in Grandma's box, but I may have tossed it when I thought I couldn't get any fresh.

Anyway, this is beyond easy to make.  You don't need to monitor the temperature because rhubarb has a ridiculous amount of pectin in it.  This will set up.  It takes about an hour to make, then a couple of hours to cool, and you're good to go.  I just wanted a rich jam to put on matzoh at tea time.  At some point, it will be gone.

I cut the original recipe considerably because I only bought half a pound of rhubarb.  Figured I'd test it before making an investment.  That's why some of the quantities look odd.

1/2 lb fresh rhubarb
6 Tb sugar
1/4 tsp orange zest
1 Tb orange juice
1-1/2 Tb water

1.  Place all ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Stir, reduce heat, and cook until thoroughly soft and thickened, about 45 minutes.  It will thicken more as it cools.  Stir every ten minutes or so while cooking and skim off any foam.

2.  Remove from heat and place in clean container.  If canning, process according to directions.  Without processing, keeps in fridge 1 week.

Makes about 1 cup

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.