Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Spice Soup


This is what I make when I'm sick. We're getting deep into cold & flu season, when dragging yourself to the market, then cooking, can sap all your strength. This is something you can do with whatever is around and be reasonably content in half an hour.

When I'm sick, I don't want fat or dairy, so this has almost none. Instead, I use strong seasonings, mostly Asian in origin. Ginger has properties that reduce nausea, so I tend to use a lot of it, but you can put in as much as suits you. I don't concern myself with eating low salt for this, since you need to hold on to all the fluids you can while you're sick.

I have also been known to make this when I'm not sick. It's why a 12¢ package of Ramen can end up costing me $10. Served over noodles, spaghetti, ramen, or soba, it's a complete meal.

1 quart water or broth of your choice
1/2 medium onion, minced (can use 1/2 C minced green onion instead)
1 Tb sliced fresh ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground pepper
2 cloves minced fresh garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste
1 lb green leafy veggie like bok choy, spinach (pictured), mustard greens, or broccoli - frozen and defrosted is OK.
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 lb lean protein like any white fish, shrimp, leftover pre-cooked chicken, or tofu
Any other veggie or seasoning you may want to add for accent, like edamame or cayenne pepper.

1. Put liquid in a large pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.

2. Stir in onion, ginger, pepper, garlic, and any other seasoning you want to add, and simmer for 15 minutes.

3. Cut greens into bite-sized pieces (or chiffonade for leafy greens) and add to pot. Add carrots and any other veggie you may want to use. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes, until carrots start to soften.

4. Add protein and simmer until fully cooked and warm, about 5 minutes. Add salt if needed. Serve hot over noodles.

Difficulty rating  π

2 comments:

  1. Yum. This would do the trick. Cayenne pepper would help ease aches and pains...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is nice when you're achy. And Happy Birthday, Laura!

    ReplyDelete

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.