Friday, September 3, 2010

Brown Rice

I only started eating brown rice a few years ago. I knew it was better for me than white rice or pilaf, I just didn't know how to cook it.

There is no fast way to cook brown rice. Unless you buy one of those pre-cooked packets, it's going to take an hour. I've become a fan of Alton Brown's method, but with a few modifications. For example, setting the oven lower allows you to cook the rice alongside chicken or pork, and for about the same amount of time.

*1 C brown rice
1-1/2 C water or broth
Any seasonings you want: salt, pepper, parsley flakes, other herbs, chopped mushrooms or pimentos, minced onion, minced garlic - go crazy!

1. Place all ingredients except water in an oven-safe casserole with a lid. Stir to combine and preheat oven to 325º.

2. Boil water. Pour boiling water over rice and seasonings. Stir briefly, cover, and place in oven. Cook for 50 minutes, and do not "check" or stir while baking. Serve immediately, but remember that the casserole is extremely hot!

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.