Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Vegetarian Zuppa Toscana

I've never actually had Olive Garden's zuppa Toscana, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of Italian sausage.  I do like it on pizza, because there generally isn't a lot of it.  Most of the vegetarian versions use plant-based sausage, which defeated the purpose for me, until I found recipes using white beans and compensating by adding in the sausage spices.  That's what I wanted.  Also, there's a significant amount of kale in it, because that's still a thing in the garden.

I probably should have used cannellini beans, being an Italian recipe, but I don't have any at the moment.  I didn't realize they're part of the kidney bean family.  Think I'm going to put them on my hypothetical bean-canning list, but only one pound, if I can even find them.  I only use them a couple of times a year.

I did have to buy sun-dried tomatoes, which assume the flavor profile of the bacon for this recipe.  I admit, I got a super late start on my tomatoes this year, like by three months, but I had hoped to have more than a couple by now.  Without any of my own oven-dried to put in the soup, I opted for the dried ones in pouches, rather than the canned ones in oil.  They do have to be refrigerated after opening, but you can reseal the package and cram it in anywhere.  Jars tend to leak if they're not upright.

2 Tb olive oil
1 C diced yellow or white onion
*2 ribs celery, diced (optional, but I like celery in a cream soup)
*3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Italian seasoning (or enough of related dried herbs to equal 2 tsp)
*1/2 tsp dried fennel seed, optional
2 Tb sun-dried tomatoes, cut in small pieces
chili flakes to taste, optional
salt and pepper to taste
*1/4 C white wine, optional, or extra broth
2 C drained white beans, veggie Italian sausage, or diced mushrooms
*4 C vegetable broth
1-1/2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, cut in bite-sized pieces
*1 C half & half or 1 can evaporated milk
*3-4 C kale, de-stemmed and chopped
*Parmesan cheese for serving

1.  Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.  Cook onion and celery until softened.  Add Italian seasoning, garlic, fennel, sun-dried tomatoes, chili flakes, and a little salt and pepper.  You don't want to over-season before the broth goes in.  Cook until fragrant, another 3 minutes.

2.  If using mushrooms or sausage, add to pan and cook until browned.  Deglaze pot with wine, if using, or a generous splash of broth.  Add remaining broth, potatoes, and beans if using.  Bring to a low boil.  Cover, lower heat to a strong simmer, and cook until potatoes are done, about 15 minutes.  Actual time will vary based on size of pieces.

3.  Add half and half and kale.  You'll be surprised how creamy the soup gets with only a cup of milk.  Keep at a simmer until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes.  Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.  Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan.

Serves 4 as a main dish, 8 as an appetizer

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.