Thursday, June 6, 2024

Lemonade Concentrate for Freezing or Canning

I went out to get a lemon for a recipe and realized what a crazy lot of them I have at the moment, with several more ripening.  It was time for a preserving project.

I really like lemonade, but I don't like to make it.  So I decided to get all of that prep work over with and can however much I had enough juice for.  Lemonade can also be frozen with equal success, but I have a lot of stuff my freezer right now.

After researching recipes, it really isn't hard to make or can.  It's just a simple syrup made of lemon juice.  Because of the high acid, you don't even have to boil it that long.  Less than a minute will kill anything naturally occurring, and you're good to go.

When ready to use, you mix this concentrate with water or another liquid to desired strength.  That could be a single spoonful into carbonated water for a refresher, 5:1 or 6:1 with water for lemonade, into iced tea for an Arnold Palmer, or into a variety of liquors for an adult beverage.

I'm giving the recipe for a quart of lemon juice.  It's a ratio, so you can adjust as necessary.  You can also reduce the amount of sugar as far as half without impacting safety.  I went with 75% sugar and plan to supplement it with stevia when reconstituted.  If freezing instead of canning, you can use artificial sweetener.  Canning recipes can only use granulated sugar, honey, or maple syrup.

*4 C fresh-squeezed lemon juice
4 C granulated cane sugar

1.  If canning, prepare for a 5 cup yield.  Maybe a bit more, but you can do what I did and make a glass right then with the leftovers.  I found it amazingly smooth, because I don't normally strain it.  Get the water bath started, because you will have the mix ready by the time it is up to boiling.

2.  Wash the lemons well.  Peel off strips from a couple of them and stir them in with the sugar, to infuse their oils into it.  Juice your lemons.  I was saving the zest to dehydrate, so it took me quite a bit longer than it would otherwise.  I have no idea how many grocery store lemons it would take to do this project.  I had 10 and got about 5-1/2 cups of juice, but the largest one weighed almost 12 ounces and yielded 3/4 C on its own.  I'm guessing 16-20, or about 1/4 C each if they're juicy.

3.  Stir together juice and sugar in a saucepan.  Bring to a low boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.  It will feel thick from the sugar.  Boil for one minute, then remove from heat.

4a.  If freezing, allow syrup to cool to room temperature.  Strain out the peels any any large particles.  Pour into freezable containers with one inch of headspace.  Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours, before moving to the freezer.  To use, defrost in the fridge overnight to thaw then reconstitute to desired strength.

4b.  If canning, strain syrup through a fine-mesh sieve into the hot jars to 1/4" headspace.  Pith will become very bitter if it is processed.  Wipe rims, center lids, and screw on bands finger-tight.  Process for 10 minutes for half pints, 15 minutes for pints and quarts.  Allow to cool 24 hours.  Check seals and wash jars for storage in case there was siphoning.  Refrigerate or freeze any failed seals.  To use, open jar and reconstitute to desired strength.  Refrigerate any unused portion up to 7 days.

Makes about 5 cups concentrate, each equal to about six cups of lemonade


Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.