Saturday, May 4, 2024

Red Lentil Galette

Here's another We Cook Vegan-inspired post.  It's close to the lentil crepes, but thick like a socca.  And I made an avocado-yogurt sauce for it, so it's no longer vegan.  Also, there's milk in this because I don't have any non-dairy milk in the house at the moment.  The original version was with sweet potato, but I've been having a lot of those and wanted to change it up.

I wasn't expecting as much flavor out of this as there was.  For not a ton of spices, they really came through.  I did almost burn the underside, which probably brought extra char yumminess to the dish.

This is going to take you a while because of soaking the lentils.  It isn't a spur of the moment thing.  I also got a lot of use out of the food processor.  As long as it was going to be used for the lentils, I ran the carrots through it and later the sauce.  If it's getting dirty, might as well make it worth it.

My artichokes are coming in!  I barely finished off last year's.  I don't expect nearly as many, even though there has been plenty of rain this year again.  I can't believe I grew a year's worth.  This meal was the ones I eat fresh.  After this, I'll probably freeze or marinate and can the rest.  We'll see.

3/4 C dry red lentils
olive oil as needed
*1/2 C diced onion
1/2 lb carrots, grated
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 green onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 C flour
3/4 C milk (can be non-dairy)

1.  Early in the day, rinse lentils thoroughly to remove milling dust.  Soak in water at least 3 hours, and up to 24.  Drain and rinse.

2.  In a 10" skillet with a lid, heat 1 Tb oil over medium heat.  Add diced onion and cook until softened.  Add grated carrots and spices and cook until carrots are softened, about 5 minutes.  Add green onions and cook one more minute.  Remove from heat and set aside.

3.  In food processor, purée lentils, baking powder, and flour.  Add milk and pulse again to combine.  The result will be a thick batter.

4.  Stir together batter and carrots until uniform in a medium bowl.  Wipe out skillet and add enough oil to coat the bottom, about 2 Tb.  Return to medium heat.

5.  Pour out mixture into skillet and spread to the edges.  Cover and cook 5-7 minutes, until the bottom is lightly browned.

6.  Completely loosen bottom of the galette from the skillet.  Set a plate on top and invert.  Lightly re-oil the pan with a Tb or so of oil.  I did not know about the re-oiling part, and the galette warped when I took it out at the end.  Slide uncooked side off the plate and back into the skillet.  Cover and cook another 5 minutes.

7.  Slide galette out of pan and onto a serving plate or cutting board.  Cut into wedges and serve with sauce of choice.

Difficulty rating  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.