Monday, December 5, 2022

White Bean Bisque

 

I put this on the meal calendar as "Black bean and corn soup".  Over the next few weeks it evolved, mainly because I had made something similar with the Salsa Verde soup.

Technically, this was a vegetarian meal, but I decided to make some chicken broth to clear space in the freezer.  Using chicken broth in an otherwise vegan recipe sounds counterproductive, but it adds wonderful body and extra protein to the finished product.  A vegetable broth with mushroom trimmings in it will accomplish a similar umami.

To make an elegant first-course soup, keep it just the bean purée and stir in a few tablespoons of cream.  (Again, not vegan.)  Top with nutmeg or cracked pepper and serve.  For a main course dish, use the mix-in veggies.  You can still add cream if you want it extra decadent, but I was trying to focus on the bean flavor and felt that the un-clarified chicken stock would give enough fatty mouthfeel.

If you're opening cans, the longest part of this is cooking the onions.  I happened to spend all day on it because it was my day off and that's the kind of thing I like to do when time isn't an issue.

1 Tb olive oil
*1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 C vegetable or chicken broth
1 15 oz can white or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
salt and cracked pepper to taste
2 Tb sherry, marsala, or white wine (optional)
1/4 C cream or whole milk (optional)
*1/2 C frozen kernel corn (optional)
*1/2 C frozen green veggie (optional)
*1/4 tsp dried tarragon or thyme

1.  In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-low heat.  Add onion and cook until softened but not browned, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

2.  Add broth, beans, and wine and raise heat to medium-high.  Bring to a low boil, taste, and add salt and pepper as necessary.

3.  In batches, purée the soup in a blender.  For an extra smooth soup, strain back into the pot.  I was adding veggies, so didn't bother.

4.  Stir in cream, corn, and veggie, along with a tiny pinch of tarragon or thyme if the taste needs an extra bit of something.  I used frozen asparagus for my green because it floats, and tarragon from my lifetime supply.

5.  Ladle into bowls and garnish with more herbs or veggie bits if desired.  I snipped up some of the chives that sit next to the sink with kitchen shears.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.