Saturday, December 17, 2022

Salmon Curry

I haven't done a curry in a while, so I got out my new friend chowder pieces (salmon trimmings - way cheaper than a salmon fillet).  I didn't research, just went for it, so I'm pretty sure this isn't specifically traditional to any particular cuisine.  I'm following Indian curry rules in the flavoring and only using items I have on hand.  This wasn't an intentional Pantry Challenge meal, I just forgot to put cilantro on the grocery list.

I admit that there was something off with the flavor profile I used to make this, and I'm pretty sure it was the dill, so I'm leaving it out of the written recipe.  I love dill, but it did not seem to mesh with the curry spices.  Just a heads-up if you're considering it.

This recipe comes together very quickly, thanks to the short cooking time of the salmon.  It would have gone faster if the spinach had been more defrosted.  I only gave it twelve hours in the fridge, and it was still a brick.  Maybe go a full day, or use a bag instead of a box.  There's also nothing wrong with using a bag of fresh baby spinach, pre-washed.  But again, I was using what was on hand.  I feel like there's too much in the freezer.

1 Tb olive or coconut oil
1/2 C diced onion
*2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
*1 tsp paprika
*1 Tb tomato paste
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1/2 tsp grated ginger
*1 can coconut milk (lite ok)
*10 oz frozen spinach, thawed (1 brick)
*1 lb salmon, cut in bite-sized pieces
*1/2 C chopped parsley or cilantro (or a combination)
*lemon juice and zest to taste, or diced preserved lemon
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.  Add oil, then onion.  Cook until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.  This is also a good time to start any rice you're having with it.

2.  Add curry, cumin, paprika, tomato paste, garlic, and ginger to the skillet.  Cook until it forms a fragrant paste, about 3 minutes.

3.  Add coconut milk and spinach and bring to a simmer.  If the spinach is still slightly frozen, continue to simmer until broken down.

4.  Add salmon and parsley or cilantro.  Simmer until the salmon is mostly done, about 5 minutes.  Taste and add lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper as needed.  Serve over rice.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.