Saturday, February 19, 2022

Quinoa-Mushroom Burgers

I still have klp ketchup from last year and wanted to make a new burger for it.  Beef is just too expensive to waste on burgers these days.  When I made the ketchup, I was disappointed that I only had a pint.  Now I realize that I don't use it much, and a pint was plenty for the year.  I also had some leftover frozen fries from a batch of poutine, and I will definitely put ketchup on that.

This is not a vegan burger.  I could not figure out how to keep them from falling apart without eggs.  As it is, there's a little tapioca flour in it to help as an extra binder.  They are GF, until I put them on sauerkraut rye buns.

In these burgers, moisture is the big enemy.  The quinoa and mushrooms must both be cooked until dry, and you still need starches to soak up the water in the eggs.  You can definitely use breadcrumbs or matzoh meal in place of both of the starches I used.  I was just seeing what would happen if I tried for KLP.

* 1/2 C dry quinoa
8 oz crimini or other mushrooms
*1/2 yellow onion
3 Tb olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
*1/4 tsp liquid smoke
*1 tsp fish sauce or soy sauce
*3 Tb potato starch
*1 Tb tapioca starch
2 eggs, beaten

1.  Rinse quinoa thoroughly to remove any soapy residue.  I do that even if it says pre-rinsed.  Add 1 C of water and quinoa to a small saucepan.  We're making this quinoa slightly drier than the usual recipe.  Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to the lowest.  Cook until quinoa has absorbed all the water and the little curlicues are visible, about 12 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.

2.  While that is simmering, rinse mushrooms clean.  Finely chop mushrooms and onion.  I already had the food processor out and did it in that, but I think my initial instinct to use the hand chopper would have worked better.

3.  Heat 1 Tb of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add mushroom and onion mixture, thyme, garlic, liquid smoke, and fish sauce.  Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are cooked down and dry, about 7-10 minutes. What I was not expecting was for the finished result to look exactly like ground beef.  Remove from heat.

4.  Once the mushrooms and quinoa are cool enough not to instantly cook the eggs, stir them together in a bowl.  Add potato and tapioca starches and stir until thoroughly combined.  Pour in beaten eggs and fold until distributed.  The mixture is going to be a little soupy.  Refrigerate 20 minutes, while you wash the unfortunate pile of dishes (saucepan, skillet, cutting board, cutting implements, egg bowl, measuring spoons, utensils).

5.  Put the now-clean skillet back on the stove and add about 2 Tb olive oil, enough to lightly coat the bottom.  Heat over medium.  Portion out 1/2 C of mixture and pour into skillet like a very thick pancake.  Fry until bottom is crispy and golden, 8-10 minutes.  Flip, press down slightly, and cook until patty is completely done, another 6-8 minutes.  Serve hot as you would a burger.

Makes 4-6, depending on patty size

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.