Monday, February 7, 2022

Pumpkin Enchiladas

Pantry challenge or not, I had leftover canned pumpkin in the freezer that I wanted to use.  I've already done a pumpkin lasagna, and went in search of other ideas.

Enchiladas drenched in a pumpkin tomato sauce are a great savory idea.  The filling can be shredded poultry or pork, chicken, or beans.  I got snacky and bought flour tortillas, but corn ones make this GF.

Technically, this was my last recipe of Pantry Challenge January.  I bought the tortillas new, but used cream cheese instead of shredded in the filling because I bought a two-pack when the Great Cream Cheese shortage happened.  PS, if you've never tried cream cheese on a flour tortilla, you're missing out.  My cheesy topping was a mix of the rest of the Romano and feta from every other cheese recipe I made this month.  If I had been out of cheese, I would have bought cotija.

The amount of spices in the sauce I have listed will produce a savory, flavorful blend.  If you want some heat or punch, double the amounts and add 1/4 tsp of cayenne.  It will overpower the pumpkin, which is what I was trying to avoid, but I know some people like their spice.

*2/3 C canned pumpkin
*1/4 C tomato paste or 8 oz plain tomato sauce
1 C water (if using tomato paste)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
8 6" tortillas (your choice flour or corn)
*1 15 oz can cannellini, black, or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 C chopped greens of choice (optional)
*4 oz cream cheese, softened or room temp
*1/2 C shredded or crumbled white cheese of choice

1.  If using tomato paste, mix with water until uniform.  Stir in cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt.  Spread half of it thinly on the bottom of a 9x12 casserole.

2.  Combine remaining tomato sauce and the pumpkin purée and set aside.  If too thick to pour, add a little more water.

3.  Begin assembling the enchiladas: If needed, warm each tortilla briefly to make it pliable.  Set it on a work surface.

4.  Spread 1 Tb of cream cheese all over one side of the tortilla.  Top with 1/4 C of beans and 1/4 C of chopped greens, if using.  I considered cabbage, but then I would have had 3/4 of a cabbage left and just snipped some green onions from the garden.  Roll up enchilada and place, seam-side down, in casserole.  Repeat with all of the tortillas, cream cheese, and fillings.

5.  Once all the enchiladas are rolled and in the casserole, pour pumpkin sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese.  You can garnish with any remaining chopped or shredded greens.  At this point, enchiladas can be refrigerated or frozen for another day, or baked immediately.  Side note, if you freeze cream cheese, it will have a slightly crumbly texture once thawed.

6.  When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350º.   Cook for 15-20 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.  Remember, the only thing raw in there is if you added greens.  Serve hot, with a side of rice and/or a salad if desired.


Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.