Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Yehuda's Passover Brownies

No, you didn't lose all track of time and it's already Spring.  When I got out the matzoh meal for the pupusas (I have since bought more masa harina), this recipe was on the back of the canister and I suddenly wanted brownies.  It looked easy and only had six ingredients.

It also makes more than I had in mind and uses 5 eggs.  Math, sigh.  Fine, I have cut it down to 3/5 so it fits into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan, depending how thick you like your brownies.

While trying to find the backlink to the recipe on the container, I discovered Kosher.com.  It's like the Allrecipes of kosher food.  Never did find the exact recipe on the matzoh meal, but there's plenty of good ideas on the site.  Found something very close on Allrecipes, with just a different baking temperature.  Reading the comments, I think it was the Beta version of the Yehuda recipe.

Now, since it is not currently Passover, I added a few things that will not appear in the version below.  Vanilla extract, for one.  Well, mine is KLP because I make it, but I'm not going to write it as an ingredient.  I also stirred in some semi-sweet chocolate chips...because I felt like it.  And when choosing an oil, I used everyday canola oil, which is not KLP.  I would use grapeseed or cottonseed oil if I was making this for Passover.  Olive oil would impart too much of its own flavor.  Plus, it has gotten really expensive lately.

And yes, that is a lot of sugar and oil.  Not arguing on that point.

3 eggs, room temperature
1-1/2 C sugar
3/4 C oil
2/3 C cocoa powder
*3/4 C matzoh cake meal
*3/4 C chopped walnuts, optional

1.  Preheat oven to 350º and lightly grease an 8x8 or 9x9-inch pan, then line with parchment or wax paper and grease again.  I used olive oil pan spray, but KLP shortening or margarine is acceptable.

2.  Beat eggs and sugar until light.  There's no baking powder in these.  Some people argue that brownies are supposed to be dense, but that's with regular flour.  Matzoh meal is going to turn this into a brick without something airy in it.  Add oil, cocoa powder, and cake meal.  Mix well to combine.  Sir in nuts, if using.

3.  Pour batter into pan, making sure it reaches the corners.  Bake 25 minutes, then check with a toothpick and bake in 5 minute increments if not yet set.  With brownies, it's best to err on the side of slightly underdone.

4.  Allow to cool in pan 15 minutes, then lift out by the wax paper and cool to room temperature.  Slice into desired portions and serve.  Leftovers keep in a sealed container 4 days, in the freezer a month.


Serves 8 to 16, depending how big you cut your pieces

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.