Thursday, August 5, 2021

Creamy Beet Slaw

I thought for sure I had made this before.  It just sounds like something I would do.  I've made non-creamy beet salads, but not a basic coleslaw incorporating beets.  And yes, I did have this with sauerkraut.  Didn't think that one through.

There are two ways to do beets in salad, raw and cooked.  I happen to prefer lightly cooked.  It's a texture thing, but it also brings out a bit more sweetness and heightens the flavor, not to mention removes a lot of the juice that would bleed onto the rest of the salad.  One minute of blanching is plenty for matchstick cuts.

I'm just using the standard coleslaw dressing that you would make for an all-cabbage salad.  Really, I'm just using my one successful beet out of the Pond instead of a carrot in the basic recipe.

*1/4 C mayonnaise
1 Tb milk
1 Tb apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 small cabbage
*1 large or 2 small beets
1/4 C finely diced onion

1.  Whisk together mayo, milk, vinegar, sugar, paprika, and salt to make the dressing.  Chill until needed.

2.  Start a medium saucepan of water heating to a low boil.  Shred the beet, peeling optional.  I had the V-slicer with the julienne attachment.  Food processor works, as does a box grater.  If using a manual tool, I recommend a cut resistant glove.  Raw beets are dense and your hand could slip.  Add the shreds to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute.  Drain in a sieve and rinse thoroughly to stop the cooking.

3.  Rinse whatever you used to shred the beet and go at it with the cabbage.  Coleslaw should be finely shredded, so the dressing can penetrate.  Toss the core and you're ready to go.

4.  Toss together cabbage, beets, and onion.  Pour the dressing over and toss to combine.  Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 2 hours.

Serves 4-6

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.