Saturday, August 14, 2021

Cherry Jam Two Ways

So I guess I don't have a post for cherry jam.  Really thought I did, until I went looking for it.

I really like cherries.  To me, they don't need spices or any help to be special.  I do combine them with other flavors on occasion, like the cherry-blueberry jam.  When I had a half cup left over after filling three half-pint jars, I decided to put a splash of Sabra (chocolate-orange liqueur) into the last jelly jar's worth.  I'm not super fond of chocolate cherries, but the result is pretty nice.

I'm basing this on the Sour Cherry Jam out of Food in Jars.  There's a bit less sugar because I bought sweet cherries, and I'm using Ball low-sugar pectin instead of Marisa's recommendation of liquid.  My actual yield was about half of this recipe, since I canned the pie filling first.  This amount is about a very full bag of cherries.

6 C pitted and chopped sweet cherries (measured after chopping)
2-1/2 C sugar
2 Tb lemon juice
2 Tb low-sugar pectin
Spirit of choice (cherry liqueur, chocolate liqueur, amaretto, etc) optional

1.  If canning, prepare a boiling bath canner, jars, and lids for a 3 pint yield.

2.  In a large pot, bring cherries and 2 cups of the sugar to a boil over medium-high heat.  Separately, stir together pectin and 1/2 C of sugar.  Set aside.

3.  Boil cherries and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.  You can skim off the foam if you like.  Jam should reach 220º on a thermometer and the cherries should be softened and suspended in a thick syrup.  The bubbles will be glassy and about half an inch across.  The liquid will sheet off the spoon.

4.  Stir in pectin/sugar and lemon juice.  Cook for another 3-5 minutes until thickened.  If adding a liqueur, do so after the pectin thickens.  1/4 C for a hint, 1/2 C to leave no doubt.  What I did was fill three jars, then pour about a tablespoon into the rest of it, which turned out to be 4 oz.  Boil one more minute, then remove from heat.

5a.  Fill hot jars with hot jam, leaving 1/2" headspace.  If the jam is very thick, de-bubble, but most jams don't need it.  Wipe rims clean with vinegar.  Center lids, screw on bands finger-tight.  Process for 10 minutes once the water returns to a boil.  Remove canner lid and let jars sit 5 minutes before removing to a towel to cool and wait for the ping.  Once cooled, remove rings and test seals.  Wipe clean and store in a cool place for up to a year.

5b.  For non-canning, allow jam to cool to room temperature, about half an hour.  Store in fridge for several weeks.  Can also be frozen for a couple of months.

Makes about 3 pints

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.