Saturday, July 3, 2021

Miso Soup

Yes, I know it's summer and hot outside.  But I like miso soup and had to use up a package of tofu before it spoiled.

My new favorite site for Japanese recipes, Just One Cookbook, has a miso soup recipe that is far more involved than what you get at a sushi place.  That is usually broth, kelp or spinach, some chopped green onions, and two or three cubes of tofu.  What is presented on JOC is more of a first-course soup that could stand on its own.

I cheated a bit on the broth.  I bought dashi miso and skipped the bonito flakes because that would have involved going to another market.  I have seen other recipes that start with either chicken or seafood broth.  You can decide what depth of flavor you want, but mushrooms were enough umami for me that I didn't need extra flavoring in the water.

I also deviated from the recipe and got the miso paste started in water before adding it to the pot.  I'm tired of my miso separating and sinking to the bottom.  Getting rid of the chunks first seemed to solve that problem.  You still have to stir it up again if there are leftovers, but the original pot should stay mixed.

1 quart water
*1/4 C white miso (vegan) or dashi miso paste
4 oz mushrooms, sliced bite-sized (I used crimini)
*4 green onions, finely chopped
*1 pkg firm tofu
*1 C frozen spinach
dried seaweed sheets for garnish, optional

1.  Add 3 cups water to a soup pot.  Add the sliced mushrooms and slowly bring to a low boil.

2.  While the water is heating, combine the miso paste and remaining cup of water.  Whisk until paste is incorporated.  Cut tofu into 1/2" cubes.

3.  Add spinach, tofu, and onions to the pot when the mushrooms are as cooked as you like them.  Return pot to a simmer.  Add miso broth.  Do not boil, just return pot to a low simmer.  Crumble in seaweed sheets just before serving.  Serve hot, alongside rice if desired.


Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.