Saturday, July 24, 2021

Amaretto Peach Butter

Here's one non-pie canning recipe to break up the theme.  I'm probably getting all of this out of my system now, and won't have many new canning recipes next year.  For all I know, I'll still have half of this year's pie fillings still on the shelf.

I have two bottles of Amaretto in the liquor cabinet, and I don't really like the stuff.  It does have its uses in baking, largely to enhance the flavor of fruits.  When I saw this variation in the Ball book's recipe for peach butter, I decided it would be the one to make.

If you aren't process canning your peach butter, you can alter the recipe.  For one thing, maybe cut it down to one pound of fruit and make just a cup or so.  You can reduce the sugar, change the amount of alcohol, do lemon juice to taste instead of as a preservative, etc.  If process canning, I suggest sticking to the tested and verified proportions, even if you change the final yield.

I'm kind of confused about Ball's yield.  I got two half-pints when I should have gotten 4 by their measurements.  The weight of fruit in their recipe was supposed to yield 4 cups of purée, and I had less than 3.  Maybe it was partially because I used a food mill and not a food processor to purée the cooked peaches.  I feel like I reduced the mixture the right amount.  For all the drama to peel and chop the peaches, it would have been nice to get a little more out of it.

2-1/4 lbs ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
1/4 C water
*zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1-1/2 C sugar
*1/2 C amaretto (not optional if canning)

1.  The peach butter will turn amber because of the amaretto, so you don't need to treat the peaches for browning.  If canning, prepare boil bath canner and lids for a 2 pint yield.

2.  In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine peaches, water, and lemon zest and juice.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until peaches are soft, about 20 minutes.

3.  Working in batches, purée peach mixture in a food mill or food processor until uniform.  Do not liquefy.  Measure 4 cups of purée if canning.  (Do some quick math if it's less.)  If not canning, exact measurements are not necessary.

4.  In a clean saucepan, combine purée and sugar until sugar dissolves.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens.

5.  Add amaretto and return to a boil.  Cook until mixture mounds on a spoon.  Ladle mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.  Debubble and adjust headspace if necessary.  Center lids on jars, screw bands down finger-tight, and process in canner for 10 minutes.  Cool, test seals, wash jars, and store.  For non-canning, cool, refrigerate, and use within 2 weeks.  Can be frozen, but won't last indefinitely in the freezer because of the alcohol.

Makes 1 to 2 pints, depending on how far you reduce

Difficulty rating :-0 (for peeling the peaches)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.