Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Pineapple Jam

Pineapples were on sale, so I figured why not?  Originally, I was going to make the pineapple pickles out of the Ball book, but I couldn't think of a use for them.  The other two options were the jam and chunk pineapples in syrup.  You can get the latter easily, but jam isn't as easy to find.

I've been canning almost one day a week since I got the canner.  I rearranged one cabinet in the laundry room to make space for the jars, but I think I'm going to need another shelf.  I definitely now have more than one month of food, so I'm going to try to use more of my items rather than accumulate.  Nearly everything has a plan, it's just a much longer meal plan than I'm used to scheduling.  Even a basic spaghetti night to use stuff in the freezer was weeks down the line when I plotted it.

So why would you make pineapple jam?  What is a good use for it?  Well, obviously as jam on toast or scones.  It can be a pancake topping or cake filling.  It works as a sauce/glaze with pork or chicken.  I'm doing one pineapple's worth so it makes a reasonable amount if you're not into canning.  And I only canned it in 4oz jelly jars, anticipating not wanting a whole lot at once.

The lemon is in this for the pectin, to make the jam set.  If you skip it, you have to use a commercial pectin.  A lemon is cheaper, available in any market, and easier to figure out portion sizes.  The recipe doesn't specify it, but I chopped my slices into smaller pieces before adding them to the pot.

For fun, I added nutmeg and some of my homemade nutmeg extract to make it a little different.  You could add cinnamon or grated ginger; I considered both of those options before deciding on the nutmeg.  There is nothing wrong with going for the straight pineapple flavor, but why make something that's commercially available?

4 C peeled, cored, and finely chopped pineapple (1 large)
2-1/2 C sugar
*1 small lemon, unpeeled, thinly sliced and seeded
1 C water

1.  If canning, prepare jars and a canner for a 3 cup yield.

2.  Place all ingredients in a large, non-reactive saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar and prevent scorching.  If adding a spice, add now.  If using an extract, wait until the cooking process is completed.

3.  Cook jam until lemon rinds are thoroughly softened and can be cut with a wooden spoon against the side of the pot.  Test the set after about 15 minutes, and every 5 minutes after.  If desired, smash pineapple bits with a potato masher for a smoother texture.  There is nothing wrong with leaving them as small chunks.

4.  If canning, ladle jam into hot jars with 1/4" headspace.  Wipe rims, center lids, and screw bands on finger-tight.  Process for 10 minutes, then leave in canner for 5 minutes before removing.  Cool jars and store.  For non-canning, allow to cool until no longer steaming, then refrigerate for up to 1 month or chill first and then freeze.


Makes 3 cups

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.