Thursday, April 1, 2021

Zoom Passover

Last year, at the start of the pandemic, I had one guest for Seder and we sat at opposite sides of the large dining table.  Each of us had a little setup so we wouldn't have to share items from the large Seder plate.

This year, I'm lucky enough to be half-vaccinated.  Second Pfizer shot on the 5th.  Which means I won't be socializing - even masked - until the 19th.  So, I let my usual invites know that I wouldn't be hosting.

Instead, I Zoomed in to Techie, Writer, and Melody Smurf's Seder.  Techie and Writer are in Philadelphia, Melody and her roommate are at NYU, and I'm in L.A.  We started on their time, and finished while it was still light out here.  Writer Smurf noticed the time difference when I had to go looking for a better wifi connection and she saw the sun out the window.

Zoom isn't a perfect solution.  Writer had to send me a pdf of their Haggadah, which was blurry in a lot of places.  It cut off halfway through, as did Melody's, so there was a flurry of new photos and emails.  My laptop's camera didn't come on the first time I logged in, so I had to reboot the whole computer.  Sometime after dinner, my connection dropped for a minute and I had to be let back in.  We were all pretty tired from the stress by the time the service was over.

Meanwhile, it's weird to have a large Seder plate to yourself.  I still got it out and set it up.  I got all the usual items prepared.  And then I ate off it whenever we got to that part of the service.  I did pour Elijah a separate cup of wine.

The biggest change from a normal Seder was no last minute scramble for the afikomen prize.  Not much of a hunt when there's only one person in the house.  I could have put a bit of tuna on it and had Molly find it, but that's kind of silly.

Menu

Required Elements

  • Charoses
  • Hard boiled egg
  • Spring greens (home-grown cilantro instead of store-bought parsley)
  • Horseradish
  • Salt water
  • Matzoh
Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.