Sunday, April 12, 2020

Seder 2020

The calendar continues to move along, even in these times.  Birthdays happen, holidays happen.  Spring's flowers and veggies come up after a warm rain.  The daily essentials of life still exist.

So I still had a Seder.  You can't cancel a religious holiday, you just have to rearrange how you observe it.  It was way worse during the Holocaust.  We need to get over the minor inconveniences that keep us from catching the virus and embrace the fact that they keep us alive.  I just wish I'd figured that out before buying a 3lb brisket.

I had a single person over, someone who did not have access to a family Virtual Seder.  I got out a measuring tape and set the table so we could be six feet apart.  While I did set the actual Seder plate, each of us had a mini plate so we wouldn't have to pass dishes.  We served ourselves in the kitchen and brought it to the table.

I discovered that it's just as much work to make a four-course Seder for two as for a dozen.  Just fewer dishes to do after the guests leave.  My guest has already volunteered to host next year, with me coaching.  If I can bake a wedding cake in an apartment three times zones from my house, I think I can manage assisting a Seder in the next neighborhood.

I also took the opportunity to take some photos I wish I had put on the original posts for the repeat recipes.

Spaghetti Squash and Quinoa Soup
Cranberry Brisket
Ginger-Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Potato Latkes
Vegan Cardamom Ice Cream
Chocolate Chip Passover Biscotti


No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.