Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Chocolate Banana Cream Pie

 

This started as a way to put something into a store-bought graham cracker crust.  Because I still have way too much in my pantry.  I've been thinking of doing banana pudding, but it makes such a huge bowl.  This brought things down to a more manageable quantity.

But I've already done a banana cream pie and a chocolate silk, so this had to be a little different.  Filling the non-banana spaces with chocolate pudding sounded like an awesome idea, so that's what happened.

I can't express enough how much I missed bananas when I was in quarantine.  I ran out maybe two days into it.  Honestly, I think a lot of the muscle cramps I was attributing to the virus were a nutritional deficiency from not eating bananas.  The pains disappeared the day after I went grocery shopping and got a hand of slightly green ones.  I don't like overly ripe bananas.

You do need to let them ripen for this recipe.  Not to banana bread black, but mottled enough that they slice without any snap.  There should be some sugar development to complement the chocolate.

2/3 C sugar
*1/4 C cornstarch
*1/4 C cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 C milk
1/2 C chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
*2 ripe bananas
*1 graham cracker pie crust

1.  In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt.  Stir in milk and let it sit for about 10 minutes to work out the lumps.

2.  Once the big lumps are soaked out, place saucepan over medium heat.  Stir constantly to prevent scorching until thickened, about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Stir in chocolate chips and vanilla.  Stir frequently while you're preparing the bananas, until the chocolate melts.

3.  Slice the bananas 1/4" thick.  Arrange slices on the bottom of the crust, reserving some for decorating.  Pour pudding on top of bananas and smooth if necessary.  Arrange reserved slices on top and cover with plastic wrap touching the surface.  Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.

4.  Serve cold, with whipped cream if desired


Makes 1 pie, about 8 servings

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.