Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Grape and Plum Masala Jam

 I bought a bag of grapes when I didn't like the look of the bananas at Sprouts.  I'm very picky about my bananas.  I suspected at the time there were too many grapes in the bag, and I was right.  The same trip, I picked up a pound of plums for some spiced plum jam.

By the time the plums were ripe enough for jam, almost a week in the ripening bag, the remaining grapes were getting past their prime.  I decided to add them to the plums and just make a bigger batch of jam.  Then I wondered what would happen if I changed up the spices a little to more closely resemble chai, and this recipe happened.

I've made grapes in syrup before, but not jam or jelly.  Kind of winged it here.  I had no idea if they would cook properly if left whole and cut each one in half.  Yeah, that took a while.

2 C plums, pitted and finely chopped
*2 C red seedless grapes, sliced in half
1-1/2 C + 1/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground cloves
*1 Tb pectin powder
*1 lemon, zested and juiced

1.  Stir together chopped fruit and first 1-1/2 C of sugar.  Allow to macerate in the fridge at least 4 hours or overnight.

2.  If canning, prepare jars and lids for a 2 pint yield.  I think I boiled mine down too far, because I got less than 3 cups, and it was firmer than I wanted.  Think I'll be filling cookies with some of it.

3.  Pour fruit into a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil and cook until the juices run clear, about 5 minutes.  Add spices, lemon zest, and lemon juice.  Return to a low boil and cook until fruit softens, another 15-20 minutes.

4.  Stir together remaining 1/4 C sugar and the pectin.  I'm going easy on the pectin here because my batch did get very firm.  Add to pot, increase the heat, and cook 5 minutes, until glossy.

5.  If canning, fill jars with 1/2" headspace.  Wipe rims, center lids, and screw on finger-tight.  Process for 15 minutes in a boiling bath canner.  Check seals once cooled, wipe clean, and store up to 1 year.  For non-canning, store in fridge for up to a month or freeze up to 3 months.

Makes approx 4 cups

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.