Thursday, August 13, 2020

Herbed Arborio Rice

The instructions on the back of the expensive bag of Arborio rice I bought do not mention risotto.  They're basic rice directions.  Risotto is a process designed to create a specific texture.  For the heck of it, I decided to follow the package directions and see what happened.

This was the same day I had to pull a fennel that was bolting and trim the basil, so a simple pot of rice ended up turning into a post.  I had it with some turkey Meatballs with Coconut-Peanut Sauce, and it wasn't as odd a combination as I thought it would be.  Fennel and peanuts apparently work together.
While I was using what I had in the garden, you could substitute any fresh herb that works with your meal.  Pay attention to the "fresh herb" part of that sentence.  Dried herbs are much more concentrated.  You want a subtle flavoring to rice, not a salad with rice in it.

*1/2 C fennel fronds and stems, minced
*1/2 C fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1 Tb olive oil
1 C Arborio rice
1-1/2 C water
salt to taste


1.  In a 2 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium.  Add chopped fennel and basil and cook until fragrant.  Add rice and a pinch of salt.
2.  Add water and bring to a low boil.  Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and continue to steep for 10 more minutes.  Fluff rice with a fork.  If too dry or undercooked, add more water.  I like very soft rice and added half a cup.

3.  Serve hot immediately, or you could add a bit of rice vinegar and more salt and use it for onigiri the next day.

Serves 4-5

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.