Friday, January 10, 2020

Baked Brie with Marmalade and Pine Nuts

Um, so, like with the rib roast, you're seeing a next-day leftover photo of the finished product.  We were all hungry on Christmas and I forgot to take pictures.

My Secret Santa gave me a cheese baker from Cost Plus.  It's an oven-safe ceramic crock with a tealight heater under it.  She included the gift receipt, but it was just what I needed for Christmas hors d'oeuvres.  I was planning on Welsh Rarebit as a melted-cheese delivery system.  This is much more practical and fun.

You can make this in a cake pan, ramekin, or any small casserole.  I just happened to have the perfect serving dish because of the gift.  Not quite fondue, but definitely party friendly.

1/2 lb brie or camembert (small wheel or wedge)
*1 Tb marmalade of choice (I used the last of the kumquat)
*1 Tb pine nuts, toasted
bread slices, apples, crackers, etc for serving

1.  If using a wedge, cut into chunks.  For a wheel, trim to fit oven-safe casserole as necessary, then slice top with several deep gashes that the marmalade can penetrate.

2.  Melt jam in the microwave until it softens, about 15 seconds.  Spread over the brie.  Scatter pine nuts on top.  Bake at 350º for about 20 minutes, until everything bubbles together.  Serve hot in the same casserole, warning everyone the container is hot.  One cheese spreader should be enough.  I had baguette and apple slices as the dippers.  Again, no photo.  Whoops.

Serves 4-8, depending on appetite

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.