Sunday, September 15, 2019

Coconut Saffron Rice

I wanted to make a coconut rice, but I don't like curry.  It has a muddy flavor to me.  And yet I like cumin, which also can be muddy.  Kind of like my eggplant/zucchini difference of opinion.

I found a recipe at Big Oven that was pretty much what I had in mind.  It makes more rice than I normally would, but that's how big a can of coconut milk is.  I used "light" milk and still ended up putting in water because I like my rice mushy.  The liquid amounts are probably right for how most people like their rice.

This is a savory recipe.  It's intended to work as a base for a meat, fish, or vegetable entrée.  Spicy shrimp would taste good with it.  Since I can't have that, I put fake crab on it.

1-1/2 C Jasmine rice
1/4 tsp saffron threads
1 (13 oz) can coconut milk
1/2 C vegetable broth
dash salt
olive oil

1.  Drizzle a few teaspoons of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add rice and coat with oil, toasting for about a minute.  Add saffron and toast another minute.  The rice should not brown.
2.  Add coconut milk and broth and bring to a low boil.  Stir in salt, reduce heat, and cover.  Simmer for 12-15 minutes, then fluff with a fork.  If too dry, add 1/4 C water and put the lid back on with the pot off the heat.  Check in about 4 minutes.

3.  Serve either hot or cooled as an accompaniment.

Serves 4-6

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.