Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Cilantro Soup

Ok, I know not everyone likes cilantro, but I managed to grow a lot of it and it's getting warm.  The plants are going to start bolting any minute now.
The original recipe I found used zucchini as the filler.  Yeah, not happening in this house.  As much as I like eggplant, I can't stand zucchini.  No idea how that works.  Instead, I decided to turn this into a vichyssoise-like concoction using turnips for their tang.  Bear with me here, the result is creamy and flavorful.

1 Tb butter
*1/2 C diced onion
1 qt low-sodium chicken broth
1 lb turnips, peeled and cut in 1" chunks
*1 bunch cilantro, thick stems removed
salt and white pepper to taste
creme fraiche or plain yogurt for serving

1.  Melt the butter over medium in a soup pot.  Add the onion and sauté until softened.  Add broth and diced turnips.  Bring to a low boil, cover, and lower heat to a simmer.  Cook until turnips are very soft, about 30 minutes.
2.  In batches, purée soup with handfuls of cilantro, keeping a few sprigs for garnish.  For a very smooth result, strain out the reluctant bits of cilantro on the return trip to the pot.  (I chose not to do that, and it really wasn't that big a deal.)  Return to a simmer, adding salt and white pepper to taste.  If you plan to serve the soup cold, it will require more seasoning.

3.  Serve either hot or chilled, garnished with cilantro and creamy product of your choice.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.