Friday, February 8, 2019

Chickpea and Cheese Crisps

I wanted to have some kind of beans with my dinner, but didn't actually want to put them in the roasted eggplant.  I wanted them on the side of it somehow.  Then I had this idea in the shower and rewrote the grocery list.

Maybe I'm calling them the wrong thing, because I couldn't find a recipe online to match my idea.  Most of them used chickpea flour, and I'm avoiding buying another bag of that until after Passover so I don't have to put it in the chometz box.  These are basically like making a parmesan crisp, but with chickpea purée so you can use a soft cheese.  Not exactly a falafel, more like a cheesy hummus cracker.

And since it's like hummus, I used canned beans.  Soaking and cooking from dry would have made these chunky.  To get a smoother texture, canned is most effective.

1 can chickpeas
4 oz log goat cheese
1 stalk green onion
*2 cloves garlic
2 tsp-ish olive oil

1.  Drain chickpeas and drain well.  Roughly chop green onion, peel garlic, and put the three ingredients in the food processor.  Process until well on their way to an aromatic paste.
2.  Drop cheese into the processor and run until smooth.  It should be paté-like.  If still too chunky, add oil a teaspoon at a time until the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.  This mixture is safe to eat as-is, if you want to use it as dip.
3.  Preheat oven to 375º and line two sheets with parchment or a silpat.  Scoop out rounded tablespoons of mix and pat down into pancakes.  These won't spread, so you only have to leave about 1/2" between.  And the fingerprints will disappear when they're flipped.
4.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Flip with a spatula and put back in the oven for another 10 minutes, until crisp.  Serve alongside salad or with an hors d'oeuvre platter.  Unfortunately, these got soggy when I tried to use them as canapés, and the gluten-free nature allowed them to crumble when I tried to use them like a normal cracker.  Broken shards would be good as croutons.

Makes about 18

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.