Thursday, June 21, 2018

Vanilla Chiffon Cake

Ok, now we're doing cake.  I'm building up to a project that will be the last of this series of posts.  While researching various cakes online, I found it annoying that component recipes were all clumped together in a single post.  If I didn't like the filling, say, I had to go through cake recipes to find one I liked.  In the end, I had three or four sites bookmarked anyway.  Doing this separate here, it makes it easier to mix and match for different finished projects.

This is the "Party Cake" recipe from the Bible.  I used it for my brother's wedding cake because a full recipe makes enough batter for a 6", 10", and 14" pan.  That's what I had.  I'm cutting it down to 1/4 here for 8" or 9" pans, so there will be a few measurements that come out weird.  I'm also changing the method, baking temperature, and times.  The only thing I remember from the 2002 cake (other than the mixer being too small) is that the tops of the larger cakes burned, and the core of the largest was under-baked.  Fortunately, the tier supports were in that part.
Everyone at the wedding in 2002 said they loved the cake.  I assumed they were just being nice because the groom's sister made it.  I tasted the trimmings from this one, and it is absolutely fantastic!  Moist, crumbly instead of tough, and just the right amount of sweetness that it doesn't need to depend on the filling and icing.  Good, if I end up putting fondant on Cousin Smurf's.  I've already decided that this will be the Vanilla cake.  (I'm making multiple cakes on a theme instead of a single, tiered monstrosity.)

As a reminder, you're only getting the cake recipe here.  After that, you're on your own.  I'm going to be doing this for all of this summer's cakes.  The consecutive posts will work to build that particular cake, but I'm separating recipes to make them easier to find when I'm in Virginia.  I'm not taking photocopies from four cookbooks and links to multiple sites.  This blog is my personal recipe box.

3 eggs, separated and at room temperature
1 C plus 1/4 C sugar
6 Tb margarine, cut into small cubes
1/2 C plus 1 Tb milk
1-1/2 C cake flour
1/2 Tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

1.  Grease three 8" baking pans, line with wax paper, and grease again.  I was using a 1/6 recipe on deep 6" pans, so one is a springform.  It worked, and one cake was just twice as high as as the other.
2.  In a medium bowl with an electric beater, beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form.  Sprinkle in 1/4 C sugar, 1 Tb at a time.  Beat until stiff peaks form.  Set aside.

3.  This is why I'm saving the stand mixer.  I did the whites in it without reading how long the batter needs to beat.  In the stand mixer, beat egg yolks and salt until smooth.  Add in remaining cup of sugar and the margarine in stages, beating until you get a light emulsion.

4.  Start preheating the oven to 350º.  Stir together baking powder and flour.  Add milk and flour mixture in alternating additions.  After the last one, add the vanilla and beat everything until very smooth and frothy, about 5 minutes.


5.  Fold in egg whites until no lumps remain.  Divide cake batter between the pans.  I recommend weighing the pans to ensure each cake is the same height.
6.  Bake at 350º for 30 minutes.  Check with a toothpick in the center.  The top will brown before the inside is done, and these are thin layers.  They can go from raw to dry quickly.  Check every 5 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean.

7.  Remove pans to a cooling rack.  Let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out and remove the wax paper.  Allow to cool completely before frosting.  Cakes can be wrapped and frozen once cooled and frosted another day.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.