Saturday, June 9, 2018

Spaghetti with Parmesan Meatballs

I wasn't going to post this, as it was mostly a way to use half the fennel in the garden before it bolted, but the meatballs looked and smelled so nice in the pan that I got out the camera.

This was going to be entirely store-bought except the veggies.  I didn't like the frozen meatball options and came up with some of my own that would go well with the free Alfredo sauce I had a coupon for.  They would work just as well with a marinara, but that's what I had.

Because we're in canned-sauce land, I didn't add any salt or pepper to the dish.  Depending on the sodium in your jar, adding any is up to you.  I like to taste my food, not just the salt.

1 lb 80/20 ground beef
1/2 C fresh breadcrumbs
*1/4 C grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
*1/2 C slivered red onion
2 lbs pasta-friendly vegetables.  I used *carrots, *artichokes, and *fennel
8 oz dry spaghetti
*16 oz canned Alfredo sauce
*1/2 C diced fresh tomato for garnish
*2 Tb fresh basil for garnish

1.  Cut vegetables (excluding onions) into bite-sized pieces.  Place in water to cover in a large pot and bring to a boil.  Lower heat to a simmer and cover while you make the meatballs.
2.  In a bowl, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, cheese, oregano, and basil.  Knead until uniform.  Heat a wide, deep skillet with a lid over medium.  Mold meat into 1-1/2" balls and place in pan.  Sear until bottoms are done, about 5 minutes.  Turn and add onions to the pan, which should now have a small layer of fat in it.  Cook another 5-8 minutes, to brown the other side and cook the onions.
3.  When meatballs are browned, dump that entire pot of veggies and water into the meatball skillet.  Cover and lower heat to a simmer.

4.  Rinse out that large pot the vegetables were in and refill it with water for your pasta.  Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.

5.  When the pasta is about halfway done, the meatballs should be cooked through.  Drain off the water (I used the sieve I was going to use anyway for the pasta) and return anything that fell out into the skillet.  Stir in the sauce.  Drain the pasta and add it into the skillet, tossing to coat.

6.  Plate the spaghetti, veggies, and meatballs.  Garnish with fresh diced tomato, fresh basil, and more  Parmesan if you have it.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.