Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Sweet Potato Toasts with Cauliflower and Bacon

I wanted something light yet filling, and that I could make in about half an hour.  Wish I had added "not a lot of dishes" to that specification, but it was worth it.  I had these for dinner, but they would be great for gluten-free hors-d'oeuvres or savory tea sandwiches.

I did realize that it looks like you're putting mashed potatoes on top of sweet potatoes.  I also realize that I was ranting recently about not liking over-steamed cauliflower, and that's what I did here intentionally.  Everything has its place, I guess.

I also used frozen for the cauliflower and peas.  Not everything has to be fresh; and then you'd have to figure out what to do with the rest of the cauliflower.

1 wide sweet potato
oil for greasing sheet
1-1/2 C cauliflower florets
1 Tb butter
salt and pepper
*1/4 lb bacon
*1 C peas

1.  Preheat oven to 400º.  Slice sweet potato, skin on, into 1/4" thick slices.  Use oil to grease a sheet pan and arrange slices on it.  On a separate pan, arrange bacon.  Cook until potatoes are soft and bacon is crisp, about 20 minutes.

2.  While that's going on, boil florets in 1" of water until very soft, about 10 minutes.  Drain and beat in butter and a bit of salt and pepper to make fluffy mashed cauliflower.  Cook the peas briefly and drain.  Chop the bacon once cool enough to handle.

3.  To assemble, place potato slices on a platter.  Top with a spoonful of mashed cauliflower.  Sprinkle on peas, then bacon.  Serve warm to room temperature.

Serves about 12 as an hors d'oeuvre, 3 as a light lunch

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.