Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Chinese-Style Chicken Noodle Soup

I really am feeding myself.  I just haven't had time to post, between work and cleaning for Passover.  Making progress on the latter.  Then I looked at all the dishes saved on my camera and realized I have to post them before I forget the recipes.

Here's the other can of soup I needed to mess with.  I could have titled this post "how to spend $10 on a $2 can of soup", but it's a lot more nutritious this way.

I turned this into two generous servings, three if you're doing lunch, and could taste the salt a lot more than with the other can.  I skipped the soy sauce because of it.  What this ends up tasting like is a cross between egg drop and won ton soup, only the noodle and chicken have separated.

1/2 onion, diced
*2 cloves garlic
1 Tb oil
1/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 baby bok choy, sliced crosswise
1 C water or chicken stock
*can of soup (2 serving size)
1/2 tsp ginger
2 eggs

1.  Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Cook onion and garlic until softened, about 4 minutes.

2.  Add water, mushrooms, carrot, and bok choy.  Bring to a simmer and cook until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
3.  Add ginger and can of soup and bring everything to a boil.  Beat eggs with a couple of tablespoons of cold water.

4.  Stir the soup to get it moving, then drizzle in the beaten egg slowly so it cooks in strings.  I poured it in too fast and the soup wasn't boiling hot enough, so I got curds.  Same taste, but not as pretty.

5.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Maybe add some pepper if it's too bland for you, soy sauce if there isn't enough salt.  Serve hot.

Serves 2-3

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.