Monday, February 12, 2018

Fennel-Tossed Potatoes and Radishes

I did like the roasted radishes, but there weren't enough to make the number of servings I needed, so I decided to mix them with some red potatoes.  As long as I was being different, and serving them with fish, fennel sounded more interesting than just salt and pepper.

This one worked great.  The root vegetables looked almost identical on the plate, and the taste was similar enough that you weren't quite sure which was which until the sharp sweetness of the radishes came through.  This is definitely an easy way to put something different on the table without scaring off meat-and-potatoes people.

1 lb red potatoes
*1 bunch red radishes
2 Tb olive oil
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp kosher salt

1.  Preheat oven to 350º.  I lined a sheet with a Silpat because I didn't know if they'd stick.  Not really, so you can go without, but it did make cleanup easier.

2.  Slice the root and stem ends off the radishes and cut in half.  Dice the potatoes into pieces about the same size as the radishes.
3.  In a bowl, toss together veggies, oil, salt, and fennel seeds.  I ground the seeds slightly before putting them in the bowl, just enough to bring out the aroma.

4.  Spread out pieces on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.  Bake for 45 min to an hour, until pieces are easily pierced with a fork and the white parts are golden brown.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.