Friday, January 19, 2018

Mustard Orange Chicken

I started to think about things I want to can this year, then saw how much jam is left in the pantry.  Kind of overdid it last year, then never threw a tea party.  I did finish off the mustards, fruit in syrup, and pickle-y things.

One of the things left was orange marmalade and some rind-free jelly from the batch.  After using half of the jar of jelly in yogurt, I decided to baste some chicken with it.  Then I thought it would be interesting to stir some grainy mustard into the jam first.  Ta-da.  Think sweet and sour with a mustard tang.

1 lb boneless chicken breast
*1/2 C orange jelly or marmalade
*2 Tb grainy or honey mustard
1 Tb oil

1.  Preheat oven to 350º.  Combine jelly, mustard, and oil into a smooth dressing.
2.  In a roasting pan slightly larger than the chicken, pour the sauce and swirl to distribute.  Place chicken in pan, and turn to coat all sides evenly.

3.  Roast until thermometer reaches 160º in the thickest part of the chicken, about 45 minutes.  Let rest for five minutes, then slice into servings.  Pour pan sauce over chicken, and frankly everything on the plate.  It's really good on veggies and rice.

Note: I did it this way because I bought a boneless, skinless breast.  If you have some skin-on, bone-in chicken, you can put it on a rack in a roasting pan and brush with the glaze every ten minutes as it cooks.

Difficulty rating π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.