Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Chinese-Style Fried Rice

I got food poisoning on New Year's.  When it was time to start eating a few bites again, I picked up some Chinese food for its digestibility.  I forgot that I had stopped taking antihistamines.  There must have been chili flakes in the sauce, because I broke out in hives.

Instead of blaming all Chinese food for my pepper allergy, I decided to make my own fried rice.  I needed the Sunset Oriental Cook Book to get me started.  Seriously, I've never made fried rice in my life?  It's just leftovers and soy sauce.

1 C dry rice
2 Tb oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C thinly chopped green onion
*1 C frozen peas & carrots, thawed
1 Tb soy sauce

1.  Cook rice according to package directions, leaving it on the dry side.

2.  In a 10" skillet, heat oil.  Pour in beaten egg and swirl it around so it cooks very thin.  When almost done, break it up into little scrambled bits.  Add the onion, peas, and carrots and cook until thoroughly heated.
3.  Add in the rice and soy sauce and mix everything together.  Taste and decide if you want to add any salt, pepper, or other spice like ginger or cayenne.  You can also add chopped bits of meat or other vegetables.  This is rice being a carrier for whatever is left in the fridge.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.