Sunday, October 1, 2017

Harvesting Fennel Seed

It took a few months, but the fennel bulb I let go to seed is finally finishing the process.  Santa Ana winds helped.  I hardly ever use fennel seed (anise) in cooking, but I believe that's because I wouldn't buy it for one recipe and would just substitute some other kind of seed.  Now that I have some, I'll put it in stocks, pickles, and stews.

The process for harvesting the seed from an herb is pretty similar for any herb.  You get the best results when you let them dry on the plant, then place the flower head in an open paper bag for a couple of weeks to dry even further.  At that point, the seeds fall off the stems and you can seal them in a container.
It is critically important that the seeds be completely dry before sealing the jar.  Any moisture will cause them to get moldy.  I left my coriander seed on the plant until the whole thing shattered when I pulled off the seeds.  This is the nose-to-tail version of growing herbs, since mine seem to keep bolting in region 11a.  A few more weeks, and it will be cool enough to start my winter herbs and greens, just when pretty much everyone else is planning for a first frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.