Sunday, October 22, 2017

Clearing out the Pond

I've had something growing in the pond garden constantly for about two years.  The contents rotated from warm to cool seasons, but there was always something in production.  As this summer comes to a close, I have decided to let everything run its course without planting anything new so I can clear it out.

That is easier said than done.  It's taking the watermelon a long time to die.  (The one in the front yard still has a 10-pound fruit on it and the vines are healthy.  It's postponing my lettuce planting.  I definitely have to pick it before Halloween, because someone will steal it that night.)  I finally remembered to use the last two beets in something.  And that stupid fennel that I let bolt has taken forever to get those seeds made.  I already bought all the planting seeds I need.  They're just sitting on the kitchen table, categorized by front yard, pond, and pots.
I did some starters, as long as I'm waiting for space to be available.  Some of the things I want to grow don't need to be direct sow.  It's just everything in the Pond that I can't transplant.  Sheesh.  Those should start to sprout within the next few days.
Once I finally get sick of waiting and rip out the watermelon and fennel, I'm going to rehab the soil with vegetable food, a lot of water, and another bag of garden soil.  I add about twenty pounds a year, to make up for tracking some out, what is lost when you pull out a plant, etc.  It's also a nice influx of nutrients.

This is such a tricky time of year in So Cal.  One week, it's too hot for winter greens, the next it's too cold for some varieties to germinate.  I'm hoping this is the last heat wave so I can put in the carrots, beets, and radishes next weekend.  Ah, the woes of a home farmer.  I'm just hoping to have a home-grown salad to serve for Christmas dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.