Friday, May 19, 2017
Well, That Was Hard
One thing I learned while doing the cleaning was not to wear my glasses or shoes once the painting started. I can see well enough a foot and a half not to leave any unpainted areas. Oh, and once I changed the bulb to a white one, the color in there didn't change a whole lot. The paint was a slightly yellowish pink off-white. I'm sure the choice was either because the whole kitchen was going to be that color or because you want lower light levels in a pantry. I hardly ever use the bulb, so it didn't matter. I just picked a lower wattage than was in there before.
Then I woke up the next day and was very sore from holding up half my weight on the door frame. Imagine doing one-armed pull ups for an hour straight. I decided to wait a week for the strain to heal before hitting the project again. Meanwhile, I did paint my bedroom and bathroom door frames, which have had blue tape on them for about six months. Not the best paint job ever, but a whole lot better than they looked before I put up the tape. You would have to be looking for flaws to find them, and I seriously doubt anyone who doesn't live here would do that.
So, the next day I got in there again with the roller. Once I got down to the shelves with a full coat, it got easier. Four hours later, everything was dry enough to pull off the tape. A quick trip around with the blue paint to patch anything the tape pulled off finished the messy part of the project.
Then came the hardest part of all, waiting three days for the paint to dry completely before covering it with the padded shelf liners I had bought before deciding to paint. I was not about to scuff or stain the shelves after all this. Finally, I felt confident enough to put down the liners and put all the food back.
Difficulty rating $@%!