Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Turnip Gratin

Michael Symon was doing a segment on The Chew about ugly root vegetables that are in season this time of year.  The first one I decided to try was his Celery Root Gratin.  First I decided to google it as faster than going through the show's website, only to find eight recipes above it.  All of those were part potato, and not what I was looking for, but it did demonstrate that others have not only considered using celery root in this way, but went to the trouble to make it less intimidating to the general public.

Then I went grocery shopping, and they didn't have any.  I bought the second-largest turnip instead, which was well over a pound.  This recipe will work with any root vegetable, and I had already made up my mind to try something I'd never had before.  I'll have to find another recipe when I finally do track down a celery root.  Or when I eventually pull up my celery and they have roots under them.

I had too much milk on hand and decided to use that instead of the cream.  I don't know what happened, but I managed to make cheese with it.  The whole thing was swimming in whey, with 2% curds in the casserole itself.  I have no idea where that much acid came from, or maybe the milk was just getting old.  Use the cream.
As for taste, it pretty much tasted like a potato gratin with a less mealy texture and a hint of something like horseradish.  Nothing to be scared of.

1 Tb butter to grease the dish
2 C cream
*3 cloves garlic, minced
1 C green onions, finely sliced
1/4 tsp nutmeg
*1-1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp kosher salt & 1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb turnip, peeled and sliced very thinly

1.  It is very important to slice the turnip thinly, so it cooks evenly and completely.  If you have a mandolin or V-slicer, use the thinnest setting.  If not, do it on the food processor with the slicing blade.  By hand, just do your best.

2.  Preheat oven to 375º and grease an 8x8 baking dish with the butter.

3.  In a saucepan, heat cream to a simmer.  Add garlic, green onions, and nutmeg.  Stir to combine.  Slowly add the cheese and stir until melted.  Add salt and pepper.

4.  In baking dish, make a layer of turnip.  Spoon over some of the cream.  Continue with layers until all of the turnip is used, then pour remaining cream on top.  Sprinkle lightly with more parmesan.

5.  Cover dish with foil and bake 45 minutes.  Remove foil and bake another 10 to toast the cheese.  Let sit until it stops boiling, another 10 minutes or so, before trying to serve.

Serves 4 to 6

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.