Sunday, December 11, 2016

Chicken with Mustard Sauce

I used to make this a lot when I was first on my own.  However, there was a dry sauce packet for it, so all I had to do was add water and simmer until done.  I couldn't find one at the market and don't remember the brand, so here's a from-scratch version.

I'm starting with Jaques Pepin's version (via the NYTimes), because you might as well go with someone who reliably puts out a good product.  As a teacher, he breaks things down into reasonable steps with basic ingredients.

I didn't use dijon mustard, instead opting for my homemade beer mustard and just adding the extra mustard powder.  I also used the suggestion from the comments to use broth instead of water.  I didn't go crazy as some of the commenters did and add a whole bunch of flavoring ingredients.  I wanted this to be a simple, mustard-flavored sauce.

You can see from the photo that I used skin-on chicken thighs with the bones.  I just cooked them longer.  I'm also upping the mustard to the full amount for this half recipe.  Maybe my homemade mustard was too mild, but I thought this needed more of a kick.

4 skinless, boneless chicken half-breasts (5 oz each)
salt and pepper
1 Tb oil
1 C finely diced onion
2 Tb flour
1 C chicken broth
1-1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 Tb dijon mustard

1.  Heat oil on medium in a skillet just big enough to fit all of the pieces.  Lightly sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cook on each side to sear, about 1 to 2 minutes each side.

2.  Add onion and cook for another minute.  Sprinkle flour over both sides of chicken and brown for one minute per side.

3.  Add broth and bring to a low boil until sauce starts to thicken.  Lower heat, cover, and cook 5 minutes.  Remove (still slightly undercooked) chicken to a platter and keep warm.

4.  Turn up the heat and reduce sauce to about 3/4 C.  Lower heat back to a simmer.  Stir together dijon and dry mustard into a paste and add to the sauce.  Don't boil after mustard has been added.

5.  Return chicken to the pan and simmer, covered, until pieces are done, 10 to 15 minutes.  Serve hot, with sauce spooned over.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.