Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mozzarella

I bought a tub of the small mozzarella balls to make some pizza and had quite a few left over.  I considered putting them in some kale & quinoa, then got an inspiration to bake them with some large Brussels sprouts I'd picked up.

For the most part, I liked this recipe.  It would have been better if I'd topped them with a mixture of panko crumbs and parmesan.  At that point, they become dipping appetizers with a little side of marinara.  Yes, Brussels sprouts as hors d'oeuvres.  Even when I'm disappointed in the world and seriously depressed over the state of the country, I try to eat healthy.

8 large Brussels sprouts
olive oil
salt and cracked pepper to taste
*1/4 tsp dried oregano
*8 "cherry" sized mozzarella balls

1.  Preheat oven to 350º.  Trim the bottoms of the sprouts and cut in half lengthwise.

2.  Drizzle oil on the bottom of a 9" x 7" roasting pan.  Toss the cut sprouts in another tablespoon of oil and place cut-side up in the pan.  Sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper, and oregano.

3.  Bake for 30 minutes.  While that's going on, cut each cheese ball in half.  Remove pan from oven, top each half with a cheese half, and bake until cheese is toasty and melted, another 15-20 minutes.  This is also when you would add the panko crumbs if you wanted to do the crispy topping.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.