Sunday, November 13, 2016

Pumpkin Pie Spice

When I decided to make the Ginger-Coconut Pumpkin Pie, I was willing to concede the point and buy pumpkin pie spice at the market.  It's a pointless thing to have when you know how to cook, just as any cook familiar with Indian cuisine will make their own garam masala or a preserver will have a unique pickling spice.

The market made the choice easy for me, since they were out.  Instead, I got down Grandma Sophie's pumpkin pie recipe and made a triple batch of just the spices.  It's pretty much the same thing.  You can add some allspice in the same amount as cloves if you have it, just for an extra kick.  Then I marked on the jar that 2-1/4 tsp equals one pie, and the job was done.  Just a couple of minutes and no money spent on a unitasker ingredient.

1 Tb cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cloves

Stir together in a small bowl to make a smooth powder.  Store in a tightly lidded container in a dark, dry place.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.